If you are running a previous version of MindManager, here are some precautions I take when installing a new version:
Note: I have been running the Beta and MindManager 8 in parallel for several weeks and I am being more cautious than the average user upgrading generally needs to be.
- Download a copy of MindManager 9 Windows
- Backup your PC – So you can restore if required.
- Make a copy of your existing MindManager AppData folder if running the beta
- Export a copy of the Mindjet registry entry
- Take a screen shot of your Quick Access Toolbar layout. You only get the default few after installation.
- Export this key from your registry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mindjet\MindManager\8\User Interface\BCGRibbonBar-59398 Substitute 8 with 7 if required. Not valid for 6 and less.
- If you have MindManager 8 for SharePoint or installed the SharePoint add in with the Beta take a copy of the SharePoint URLs.
- Close all the MS Office applications and Internet Explorer. Outlook can be processing for some time after closure. Ctrl-Alt-Esc will reveal what applications and processes are running.
- Install MindManager 9
I hope you do not need to access any of the backups I just suggested but………..
After installation you should find:
- Your Map Parts, My Maps: Map Shortcuts & Folder Shortcuts, Library Images, Package Folders, Map Markers, Map Templates, Map Styles, Marker Lists have all contain your custom items and the revised or new items that come with MindManager 9.
- You will have to install any third party addins after the supplier has issued a MindManager 9 version e.g. Results Manager, Power Markers, etc. This may take a few days or weeks to happen.
- Note: JCVGantt Pro is not being updated to work with MindManager 9. Some of the functionality is built in to MindManager 9. You can continue running your MindManager 8 or 7 license to make use of JCVGantt Pro. Remember JCVGantt Pro can run standalone and will import MindManager .mmap or MS Project .mpp files.
- Your option settings are all as they were, where still valid.
- When I upgraded from the Beta version of the SharePoint Add In I lost the SharePoint URLS in the Options settings but I think that was a self inflicted glitch.
Which means most of the hard work is done.
- But the Quick Access Toolbar just shows a few default buttons. You have two choices now:
- Mouse or pen activity: Recreate the Quick Access Tool Bar by right clicking ribbon tools. If you want them to be in the same order as before, refer to your screen shot or open MindManager 7 or 8. This is also an opportunity for a tidy up. For MindManager 8, Mindjet recommended being conservative with the total number of Quick Access Toolbar buttons. I will take a more liberal approach and see if it survives.
- Scary registry stuff not for the faint hearted or those that know nearly nothing or less than nothing about the registry. YOU ARE DOING THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK:
- Close MindManager 9
- Export this key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mindjet\MindManager\9\User Interface\BCGRibbonBar-59398 to somewhere safe. You might want it back.
- Open the old registry key with Notepad ++ or similar and change the version 7 or 8 to 9. Save. Cross your non-mouse fingers and run.
- Your old Quick Access Toolbar tools will appear when you restart MindManager.
- BUT many of the File options including Export to Web, Word etc. do not have a Quick Access Toolbar equivalent in MindManager 9. Which means they could be lurking disruptively in your imported toolbar. If you are unhappy about this like me, please tell Mindjet. That is not the lurking but the unavailable bit.
Good luck with your upgrade. Remember it is £79 plus VAT in the UK until 30 September 2010 and then rises to £99 plus VAT. Please, contact me if you would like to order an upgrade.