Windows has a set of variables which work wherever Windows is installed. Maybe you have booted from a USB drive or decided your home drive should be Z:. You can use these variables in MindManager hyperlinks.
- “%windir%\System32\calc.exe” as an absolute link will start an instance of the Calculator (It may not be in the foreground).
- “%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Mindjet\MindManager\14\Library\ENU\” will open your library folder.
You need to use the Open outside MindManager option or press Ctrl when you click the hyperlink on the map.
Here are some more variables:
- %AllUsersProfile% – Open the All User’s Profile
- %HomeDrive% – Opens your home drive e.g. C:\
- %UserProfile% – Opens you User’s Profile
- %temp% Opens – temporary file Folder
- %systemroot% – Opens Windows folder
- %windir% – maps to Windows folder
If you send a map with links of this type to other Windows users it will work on their PC regardless of how they have set it up.
My inspiration came from here: Is there a list of Windows special directories/shortcuts (like %TEMP%)? . Many commands are listed and there is a link to a page with many more.
Perhaps I could create a PC maintenance map?