Here are some quick things I do to speed up my use of MindManager:
- Add frequently used functions to the Quick Access Toolbar by right clicking > Add to Quick Access Toolbar.You can order and group them by right clicking the QAT > Customise Quick Access Toolbar
- Declutter your menus and ribbons by disabling any Add Ins (this includes some that come with the application) you don’t use. File > Options >Add Ins. e.g. most users don’t have Microsoft Project installed and can’t use the import and export.
- If your PC or the app crashes improve your chances of recovering the file by File > Options > Save: Tick – Always create a backup copy & I have Auto Recover set to 5 minutes.
- MindManager files are zip files (try copying and then changing a .mmap to .zip and look inside). I use File > Options > Save: Compression on saving: Super Fast. This will increase file sizes.
- I like to have MindManager reopen all the maps I was working on when I closed it. File > Options > General > Reopen last open local maps on startup
- If you are not using Mindjet Connect disable the Sign in on startup. File > Options > Mindjet Connect
- Use the My Maps Task Pane to organise your maps into Projects, Clients, Administration groups. Attach frequently accessed folders.
- Create a master map which links to frequently used maps, folders and files.
- If you can’t see something on a map which you expected to be there: Try removing the filter or View > Detail > Show/Hide to turn the object type back on!
- My favourite short cuts keys are: Ctrl-f5 (to centre and fill the window), Ctrl-d (select a topic to toggle level of detail), Ctrl-t (to toggle the Notes view) and f3 (select a topic, f3 centres it and closes down other topics’ sub-topics)