Do you have a requirement which goes something like this:
- You want to share information with a closed group of people
- It’s less than 2GB of files but this could grow with the size of the group
- They need to be able to access it on and off line.
- Anyone in the group can add files to the store but you will look after the indexing
- Only some members of the group use MindManager
Had you thought about using Dropbox with MindManager’s web export?
Here is how:
- Get a Dropbox account, create and share two folders with the group e.g.
- Web site
- New files
You will have to invite them and all that malarky but this will give you extra storage. The folders will appear in your My Documents folder in the My Dropbox folder.
- Create a map which links to all the files you want to share with the group.
Do not use multiple hyperlinks, they are not supported in the web exports.
- Export the map using the web export. If all the text and explanations is in topic text you just need the Clickable Image export, if you add topic notes use the Static Outline or Dynamic Templates or Simple Outline or One Page.
- Export the map to the Dropbox folder web site. I suggest changing the name of the Root export filename in Customise > Advanced settings to something relevant. A mini web site will be created with a folder called LinkedDocuments with all the linked files in it. Your original documents will remain where they where, these are copies by default. Other folders are created for the more sophisticated web exports to support the styles, images etc. used in the export.
- Give the group the link to the root export file and the web site will appear.
I have saved the web export to the Public Folder in Dropbox.
- Ask the group to add new files to the New files folder.
- Link the new files to the map and re-export.
Obviously there are many other file management systems out there but this may be enough for your needs. Similar processes may be possible with Microsoft’s Skydrive and Google sites.
Could you use this?