As a long term user of MindManager I expect new products to be as useful as the ones I have been using since 1996. It’s a high threshold!
Mindjet Connect enables collaboration but lacks features that I use regularly. So is it worth the effort when you only have access via the browser interface? If you use it via MindManager 2012 many of my issues go away.
There are major benefits to using Mindjet Connect:
- Shared folders and files with read/write access settings
- Editing via any browser anywhere
- Archiving/version control
- Simpler to use than the desktop product
BUT there are significant functions missing e.g.
- No copy and paste between maps
- Are in an unreadable row at the bottom of the screen
- No images, tables or hyperlinks
- You cannot copy or move images between topics
- No Power Filter
- No user created Map Parts
- No ability to add icons (markers) or define their meaning (You can add a manual legend to each map)
- Try dragging an icon (marker) from one topic to another. It copies! Press Ctrl whilst dragging and it moves. Not quite what you would expect.
- You can have multiple maps and file manager windows open. Right Click a map in the Files Window to Open in a New Window (Tab)
- Beware renaming maps and folders that are open in other windows or tabs.
- Maximise your screen
- Full screen your browser
- And click the full window button top right of Connect screen
- The map goes off line every few minutes for 30 seconds. This disables editing.
- You can continue working in MindManager 2012 but not the browser
- The regular save is not a problem
- There is only one short cut key that I have found. I only use half a dozen but without them rate of use goes down:
- e.g. No Ctrl-F5 to fit the map to the screen
- But Ctrl-Shift-D will toggle the level of detail
- The UI is fast and easy to use. Right click to get more options
What delights you about Connect?
What is makes you hestitate to recommend it or use it yourself?
Mindjet have a new Community for logging problems, suggestions etc. Please make your views on Mindjet Connect and other products in there. I have linked to the threads in the Community where I have commented. If they are important to you to, please add your comments and press the voting button – the +1 sign below the opening question.